Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Recreation 002


Original Image: Margrethe Mather, Billy Justema in Man's Summer Kimono, 1923

Born in March 1886 as Emma Caroline Youngreen. She spent her young life selling her body for cash. She is most closely associated with an American photographer, Edward Weston, who she met and began working with in 1913. Mather helped to take Weston's traditional style of pictorialism to photographs of more modernity.

My Recreation: In the original image I was most drawn to the stomach and the awkward hand positions. It seems as if the cloth and the hands were creating a frame for the stomach. For my recreation I zoomed in more on the body and didn't worry about adding cloth or any other props since that's not what I wanted the picture to focus on.


No comments:

Post a Comment